http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=4316350785635987648 Cave Dwellings: PLEASANT DAY IN THE DESERT..
Cave Dwellings

Buckhorn Creek, Lake O' The Pines, Jefferson, TX

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

PLEASANT DAY IN THE DESERT..

   Another picture perfect day in the Sonoran Desert.....



...We woke up to clouds and quite a wind off the mountians to the East, but by the time we got up and got a cup of coffee, the winds had died down and there was a promise of sunshine in the Western horizon. We took our walk with light jackets on and I was ready to shed mine almost immediately.
  There are some quail down here around the park, but they are very shy and don't like to pose for any photos. This morning on our walk I heard them, and stopped long enough to catch them quick, before the did their disappearing act.

...not my greatest effort, for sure, but those darn little birds are fast...and I'm sure they have trusted many a rube who ended up putting them on a rotisserie. I'll bet they taste similar to Cornish Game Hens...maybe I shouldn't go there...
   We got some more new neighbors to the South. They are a nice younger couple who are traveling with 2 Doberman Pincers...and they are the most well-behaved dogs in the park...This particular Dobe caught my eye, because she is a red, which are very beautiful dobes...and she is BIG!!!..

..She looks very scary, but she is a big pussy cat..Her name is Roxanne, but her nickname is "Peanut". We have never had a dog who is smart enough to remember to answer to two separate names, sometimes not smart enough to answer to ONE, but apparently Roxanne has no problem with it..I  heard her master refer to her using both.

   They also had a smaller black and tan Dobe named Sofia, who was much smaller. I overheard them talking about going to Rocky Point (Mexico). I would have no problem going into Mexico if I had Sofia and Roxanne, a.k.a. Peanut, greeting everyone at my camper door...
  The sun was totally out by 11AM and we finished a cup of coffee outside. There are alot of military aircraft zipping around today. I got this photo of another A-10 Warthog . It was one of three, traveling together, and there is no way I can begin to get them all at once...

...We did mostly nothing today, but sit outside and read or do crosswords.. I know Den was burned out from yesterday, and I have absolutely no excuse for my slothlike behavior. I took a little walk to the edge of the desert and found this Barrel Cactus who asked if I would take his picture...I love these  pinkish spikey little devils...

..I tried a closer look, and it didn't turn out too bad...

...Doesn't this remind you of Medusa with the snake hair? Notice how pink these "tenticles" are....
This Saguaro has many holes for the Cactus Wrens to make nests in....


   The clouds began to move in about 2PM and they are calling for showers down here, tonight and maybe tomorrow  . Lo and behold it is laundry day again tomorrow!..didn't I just DO the laundry?? I cannot believe how fast time goes. We need to walk up and sign on for another month before Thursday, which leaves today or tomorrow. That will have us packing up the HitchHiker on the 28th of February and heading ???.....well, therein  lies the beauty of pulling your vacation home behind  you. We really aren't sure yet where we will land.
There may be a nice sunset tonight, due to the whispy cloud cover on the Western horizon. I may have to expose the new neighbors to my nightly "uniform" if I want a picture of it..I hope they are prepared....More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment