http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=4316350785635987648 Cave Dwellings: Sometimes I waffle..sometimes not.
Cave Dwellings

Buckhorn Creek, Lake O' The Pines, Jefferson, TX

Monday, October 8, 2012

Sometimes I waffle..sometimes not.

This last weekend was the Chicago Marathon..Our son-in-law, Tim, was running again this year.  Since they had to get up VERY early to get into the city on time, the 3 Heiser kids stayed with Den and I the Saturday night before..As it usually happens we then have our neighbor, Jessica, as one of our adopted grandkids too.

13492886333122012-10-04 08.17.001349356517960

The kids came over about 4PM, and I had made spaghetti, mac and cheese, and homemade caramel corn…I also loaded up on the usual kid type snacks, pudding, marshmallows to roast, ice cream…As you can see I do not believe in spoiling grandkidsRolling on the floor laughing….Dennis happened to get home early that evening, so he started a campfire and we sat outside for a good share of the evening.

13495644169792012-10-07 10.25.16

…Having a bit of a problem keeping the Owl out of the “sauce”…Ever since his friend, the old codger, joined him on top the grill I cannot keep them out of our cooler. 

Jessica, our adopted granddaughter, showed up with blue hair, and our 2 grandsons insisted on becoming “the blues brothers” too….Taylor opted out of the blue hair, even though it shampoos out…Taylor’s hair is down to her waist and is a bit more of a “wash job” for her…smart girl.

1349566531214

 

 

THE BLUES BROTHERS AND ONE SISTER…I’M CONSIDERING DOING THIS TO MY HAIR AND GOING AS A BLUES SINGER FOR HALLOWEEN..

 

 

 

Sunday morning I had this great idea to drag out my new waffle iron and surprise the kids with homemade waffles and bacon…I tried something new and baked the bacon on a rack on a cookie sheet instead of frying it…This freed me up to showcase my short order cook talents to my waffles…I decided to ditch the Bisquick this time,  and make some really homemade waffles…..It looked like it was going well, and I was feeling very much like Paula Deen until I turned my back on the waffle iron…

2012-10-07 09.41.43

Not exactly one of my best efforts….Those darn kids sure had a good laugh…the little varmits! Surprisingly, the actual waffles turned out quite good,and the kids wolfed them down…Of course I have no pictures of these waffles after they were finished….The kids loved them, and even McGyver said they tasted better than the Bisquick ones…THAT’S MY STORY AND I’M STICKIN’ TO IT!!!

Since Dennis didn’t have to combine any corn Sunday, we took the kids out to the farm where he works and they got to stroll through the pumpkin patch.  Eash one got to pick out their own special pumpkin…What fun!!

2012-10-07 001

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH JIM (PAL) FRITSCH…FOR LETTING THE KIDS GET PUMPKINS FROM YOUR PUMPKIN PATCH…MAKING MEMORIES!!!

1349627877242

 

 

Here is the crew….back inside the GMC, …cold, tired…and happy!! Nothing like happy kids to make us old duffers smile real big!!

 

 

 

We managed to get those pumpkins (also 2 for the “Wolff Cub” grandkids) back home without any of them tumbling around the back of the GMC and popping open..

About 5PM, Tim and Terrie arrived back from Chicago…Tim was walking very slowly…However he broke his time from last year by about 20 minutes this year…

1349646185881

 

 

CONGRATULATIONS, DETECTIVE HEISER!!!!!

I have no idea why anyone puts themselves through running 26.2 miles in a pack of 45,000 people…This remains one of life’s little mysteries to me…

 

I need to welcome a new follower, Susan, who found my blog on Pam and Wayne's blog, Nomadic Newfies…Thanks to you all for having the fortitude to read my drivel..Hang onto your hats, this ride can get pretty wild…I feel the need to apologize ahead of time for my sometimes “colorful” language..Embarrassed smileWelcome aboard…If we ever get that Hiker back on the road, I promise a few campfires and some history lessons along the way..In the meantime, we will make due with our campfire on our deck at home!!

 

 

Charlie Brown: “Well, another Halloween has come and gone.
Linus: Yes, Charlie Brown.
Charlie Brown: I don't understand it. I went trick-or-treating and all I got was a bag full of rocks. I suppose you spent all night in the pumpkin patch.
[Linus nods]
Charlie Brown: And the Great Pumpkin never showed up?
Linus: Nope.
Charlie Brown: Well, don't take it too hard, Linus. I've done a lot of stupid things in my life, too.”

                                                                                                                                                                 ~ It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown…1966

8 comments:

  1. Could you come down and make some waffles and bacon for me? I'll let you have some of my NC shrimp! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. homemade waffles?..yummy!..a bit of work but so worth the effort!!
    nice that you had the kids for the weekend!..making memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, waffle my flaffle, ya got me hungry now for something I haven't had for as far back as i can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WAFFLES???? Oh my! Where does the line start????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waffles and Bacon sounds terrific even if the Waffles are waffling around all over the counter - I'll be the kids let out a yell about that one!

    You and Dennis are terrific Grandparents for entertaining the kids, not to mention feeding them only nutritious food, and then taking them to the pumpkin farm. That's exactly how they learn to treat their own children when they grow up.

    I don't get marathons either - they look painful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sugar 'em up and send 'em home. Yup that's my motto! Sounds like you had a great time and I'm sure the waffles were terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob runs marathons and I don't get it either. I love walking; hate running. Ugh.

    Those waffles must have ended up very thick and yummy. So you had a little mess to clean up and you gave the kids something to talk about.

    Good job.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love waffles. Of course, they seem to love ending up on my mid-section, which is probably why I haven't had them in a while. Gets pricey having to buy bigger trousers.

    ReplyDelete