We had a great New Year’s Day at the Cave Dwellings, even though the poor Hiker sat outside in the cold on it’s sorry little pad….
Obviously, our one and only granddaughter has her Grandma Cave’s sense of humor….
…the coat that remains on her body is apparently an apparel “ statement” popular with 12 year old girls….
There was no shortage of food, fun or drink…
…Kelly had to pull duty at the Oswego Fire Station, so Cindy came over with 2 of their 3 grandkids, Zachary and Caitlyn….
Terrie got a hairdo makeover from her daughter…now she looks like Pocahontas, except with bigger ta ta’s…
Taylor, the hairdresser, had been to a girls New Year’s Eve slumber party the night before, and she faded fast….
About 6PM, our neighbors, Deb and John came over to add to the festivities….Deb is “the chandelier queen” who has provided us with 2 fabulous chandeliers for our Cave Dwellings….Ya gotta have lots of light in the Cave….
By 8PM, Dennis and I were eating left over pizza, sliders and nachos…..stepping over cookie crumbs, ground in pizza sausage and Lincoln Logs….and we were in bed by 9PM….Thank God the new year happens only ONCE a year….
I mentioned Rum Balls ….and the fact that I love them…Here is the recipe…
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 1/2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 cup finely chopped, toasted walnuts
Into a large bowl, sift together 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar, the cocoa powder and allspice. Stir in the rum and corn syrup. Stir in the vanilla wafers and walnuts, and mix well. Place in the refrigerator to firm up slightly, about 30 minutes. (The mixture may appear crumbly and dry; this is O.K.)
Place the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar in a shallow bowl or dish.
Using a tablespoon, scoop out portions of the chocolate mixture and press into 1-inch balls. Using your hands, roll the balls in the confectioners' sugar, coating evenly.
Place on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, placing waxed paper between the layers to prevent sticking.
Any resolutions out there??? I have thrown a few at the wall to see how many will stick…(I’m hoping they all will).
1. I will not fret or worry so much about stuff that is not in my control…..(I have learned the hard way the stress is bad for your bowel habits.)
2. I am not going camping ever again until all of the I’s are dotted and t’s are crossed…and all those who NEED TO see a Doc, do so post haste……
3. And finally, I will love life with the wild abandon of a wilder beast, laugh until the snot runs out of my nose ,and ….cry my heart out if I need to…(Holding back on your feelings only poisons your brain….)
…and so another year begins..and we , in the Cave, are braced and ready!!!!