http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=4316350785635987648 Cave Dwellings: A Bit of a “Hitch”in my Giddyup….
Cave Dwellings

Buckhorn Creek, Lake O' The Pines, Jefferson, TX

Sunday, October 27, 2013

A Bit of a “Hitch”in my Giddyup….

I know, I get it, I am NOT very good at keeping up my own blogging..I actually have no really good reason, so I will blame it on my attention span.  Lately, a few other things have become apparent and need a bit more of my very short attention span..First of all, as you all know, the elders are moving home (this Friday, YIKES!), so I have been busy getting their home in order, buying them a new bed, getting someone to fix their refrigerator, buying things they will need when home, the list is too long to post.  Dennis and I went to see our Cardiologist for the yearly OK,” you’re good to go”.  Long story short, he didn’t like my total cholesterol numbers and ordered some high flying VAP blood test.  He also recommended I see an Endocrinologist concerning some of my symptoms: tired, crabby, (OK, those are 2 I really don’t like to admit to), heart palpitations, high BP, Calcium in  my blood…and last but not least, the ever dreaded KIDNEY STONES! ..

First I marched myself down to my GP’s office in Sandwich, blood test order in hand, …and no one there had ever heard of such a blood test.  The nurse there recommended I take my mysterious order to the Valley West Hospital Lab.  Valley West is our local hospital, which has just undergone an overhaul on the interior.

2013-10-17 09.03.492013-10-17 09.03.41 

Pretty nice remodel job..wonder what these tests will cost me???Surprised smile..Turns out I stumped the Lab Tech up there too, but she got out her book and looked it up…In a matter of minutes, the Vampires had my blood..I asked how long it would take to get the results….”Oh, these are specialized tests, and they have to go to Mayo to be read”…ALRIGHTY, THEN..I  proceeded to do the next thing on my list..call the Endocrinologist I was referred to and make an appointment…Long story longer, at first it looked like I would have a wait to get in..UNTIL I dropped my Cardio Doc’s name..then magically a cancellation appeared and I could get in the next day..YES!!!!

I’m not going to bore you with my medical mystery tour much longer, but I did love this adorable little lady Dr…She asked my tons of questions, focusing in on family history of Thyroid trouble..No, I didn’t have any in my family that I KNEW of…She had me turn around and felt my neck…BINGO!..”You have a nodule on your thyroid”. “ Nodule” ….I guess that is the nicer word..She could have said, lump, bump, growth, knot, mass, tumor, blob, clump, protuberance, chunk or hunk…Then she started rattling off words like , Vitamin D levels, Calcium tests, blood panel, thyroid ultrasound and FNAB.. I pretty much understood all but the last group of letters..I should have known they don’t actually SAY Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy right away…At any rate, I was NOT expecting her to actually find said “nodule”so quickly!. She informed me I was in for more Lab tests, a 24 hour urine catch (one of my all –time most mortifying tests..like peeing in a hat and saving it for one full day.Confused smile).  Also included was a Thyroid ultrasound..The final step would be the FNAB, to determine if there was any Cancer or not..Just for the record, 90-95% of these lump, bump, nodules are NOT Cancer…….Thumbs up.   This last “poke” will determine if I need surgery or not…Whatever it takes, just let’s “git ‘er done!”

Needless to say, I have been getting poked, prodded, gooped up with gel and rolled over for the past few days.  BRING ON THOSE RESULTS AND LET’S GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD!!!!

2013-10-25 11.21.21

  

 

Rush Copley Healthcare Facility, where my Thyroid Ultrasound took place Friday AM….”Lie back, sweetie,  and tip your head waaay back.  Now, I’m going to put some cold gel on  your neck and  press an instrument around for 15 minutes while you try to pretend  you can swallow and not get dizzy, while in this position”…then, about 15 minutes later,”OK, you can sit back up now..OOPS, be careful, you are a little shakey..Dizzy too?, Yes, that  happens”..  What EVER!! Let me outta hear, I have a huge craving for a  McDouble burgerSmile with tongue out.

Enough about ME…Let’s talk about travel!  I felt the need to get the Cave Dwellers some camping reservations for Texas this December..MacGyver says he will probably be out of the corn and beans by middle of November or slightly later..I already have the whole family coming the weekend of Nov. 22nd (our 44th Wedding Anniversary, by the way) for our Cave-A-Palooza early Thanksgiving Celebration..”God willing and the creek don’t rise”.  I figure with any luck we could be leaving right about Thanksgiving Day or that following weekend..sooooo…I booked us into Buckhorn Creek, Lake O' The Pines in the Piney Woods, Jefferson TX( in Northeast Texas)..We check in on Dec. 8th and stay 10 days…We have stayed here before. Here are a few pics of this place.

100_8697100_8698

This is site 113, and we have it booked again..a perfect site..PLUS, we get an “old geezer’s” discount of half price camping!! WOOT!WOOT!

100_8723100_8790

I cannot wait to get to Jefferson again…One place everyone should see, especially at Xmas time… OK…let’s all repeat after me..”WE WILL GET TO JEFFERSON, WE WILL GET TO JEFFERSON, WE DADGUM WILL GET TO JEFFERSON THIS DECEMBER!!!!!!..Thanks everyone…. I needed that!!

“A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.”  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

20 comments:

  1. Hope all those tests come back with an easy solution and you can get the heck out of there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you two...I have faith...and I AM an optimist, after all!!!!

      Delete
  2. Donna, this time last year, John, like you, was undergoing tests and Dr. appts. We were set the Tuesday prior to Turkey day. A couple of bad reports and departure was postponed a week or so....then he had CHF! But, two weeks prior to
    Christmas, we finally on the road. If you have a stumbling block or two, don't get discouraged.....it's gonna happen. Our prayers go out to you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always encouraging to know you are NOT alone!!! Thanks, Nan!

      Delete
  3. You WILL get to Jefferson, you WILL get to Jefferson, you WILL get to Jefferson!!!! Wishing you great results in your upcoming test. Hoping the doctors will find an easy solution and you'll be good to go!! Beautiful site and its waiting for YOU ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE WILL, WE WILL,WE WILL!!!!!!! THANKS FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT...

      Delete
  4. I pulled out my crystal ball, dusted it off and what did I see???? You and Denny in Jefferson. You in one of your gorgeous outfits with a glass of wine and Denny in jeans and a plaid shirt with a beer

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I can get to Bayou Cocodrie, you can get to Jefferson!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WTF....oops, excuse my language. Hope nothing else lands on your plate and you get to TX on schedule. Is Buckhorn Creek a State Park? After our month in Rockport we thought we'd head over to San Antonio in Feb. I'm looking into some SP there. Hang in there and I hope they're done poking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canyon Lake, Potter's Creek is an Army Corp park...and half price camping for you old people..It is VERY nice..about $12 a night, on Canyon Lake with water, electric and a dump station...It's about 40 miles from San Antonio...Let me know if you plan on going..We can give you the "skinny" on places to do laundry and have a cocktail!!

      Delete
  7. Wanda has one of those "nodules". After all those tests you mentioned, including the biopsy, she take a cheap pill a day for it. She also found that wine made it decrease in size over time. I know you'll make it to Jefferson on time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. woo hoo!!! Wine is the answer after all...Tell Wanda I will think of her every time I raise my glass!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Donna &Dennis,
    Hope all your tests come out ok and you can make your trip to Jefferson....Didn't know a lot about Jefferson other than all yard sales. It is the halfway point when we go to Houston and we always stop at the Exxon/Burgerking at lunch time. Y'all have fun and be careful. Howard & Gay Nell Key aka Arkie38

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The town of Jefferson is just a hoot and very historic..Take the swamp cruise and visit the old cemetery..We love it there!!

      Delete
  10. Man, sounds like you've been put through the wringer and the scrubbing board with all those tests. Hope they all come back o.k. and that you'll be in Jefferson for Christmas.

    I think the Thanksgiving Cave-a-palooza is probably a bigger threat to your health than all these other tests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very intuitive of you to realize that the Cave-A-Palooza is ALWAYS a threat to my health..especially my liver! Thanks Rick!

      Delete
  11. Here's keeping our fingers crossed you guys can finally get on the road & head off somewhere. Looks like a nice spot there in northeast Texas. Know what you mean about that medical stuff & just wanting to get it done & get it over with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the minute we pull out of the drive with the Hiker all of the tension slowly goes out of my neck..I am a nomad at heart..Hugs to you and Kelly to keep the Merry Medical Mystery out of your Xmas this year!

      Delete