http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=4316350785635987648 Cave Dwellings: THE LITTLE CHURCH “HITS THE ROAD”…WITH LOTS OF HELP FROM HYATT AND SONS…
Cave Dwellings

Buckhorn Creek, Lake O' The Pines, Jefferson, TX

Friday, October 15, 2010

THE LITTLE CHURCH “HITS THE ROAD”…WITH LOTS OF HELP FROM HYATT AND SONS…

 

  It turns out that yesterday McGuyver got a call from Everett Hyatt, who owns Hyatt and Sons House Movers…Everett wanted Den’s help with the church move.  Trust me, Dennis would have been all over it if he wasn’t playing “Old McDonald” in the cornfields…I told Dennis, don’t worry , I would document it with the camera….DUH! So I grabbed my thermal mug of coffee and camera and pedaled my arse down to check out the action. (I discovered that I needed to brush up on my multi-tasking after spilling most of my coffee on the way.)

I think the whole town turned out for this one….(REMEMBER TO CLIK THE PIK TO ENLARGE)

100_8390100_8391

That white truck was was hooked onto the church, and the truck was being towed by a John Deere tractor.

100_8394100_8397

Left is Everett Hyatt, the owner…They had to disconnect electricity as they went.  As soon as the church passed, Com Ed was right there, hooking the electric back up…Lots of people all over town were without electricity for a few hours, even both grade schools in town.  It was quite a tight squeeze getting the church through the parking lot and out onto Main Street….

100_8400100_8401100_8404

100_8408100_8411100_8415

In the photo on the right, that would be Everett on his knees, (who is in his 70’s) , working right along side all of the helpers and his 2 sons. That guy with his arm in the air is Jeff Hyatt…

I was standing in a great spot to watch everything.  “Front Row Joe”, yep, me and my bike….It was very neat, (and a little scary), when they turned the church up Main Street right in front of me… No power steering on this thing!  I could just see the headlines…”WOMAN AND HER BIKE PINNED TO BUILDING ON MAIN STREET BY A CHURCH. SHE WAS FINALLY PEELED OFF THE BUILDING…FLATTENED, BUT STILL CLINGING TO HER COFFEE IN ONE HAND AND CAMERA IN THE OTHER”.

2010-10-14

 

100_8419

 

NOTICE THE CUP OF COFFEE AND THE WATER BOTTLE( LEFT ) ON ONE OF THE GIRDERS….AND THEY NEVER FELL OFF AS THE CHURCH TURNED UP THE STREET…AMAZING.

Not wanting to miss anything…(no, REALLY?), I hustled up Main street by Ya Ya Mary’s daughter’s house..and the church followed.

100_8428100_8430100_8432

I stood in the middle of Main St. for the photo on the left....Hey, not to worry…I’m a trained professional (kinda). The middle and right photos I took from Jenny’s porch ( a much safer idea ..) It turns out they had to cut some limbs from the big tree in front of her house in order to let the church pass…

100_8435100_8439100_8437

 

100_8434

THIS GROUP IS EASILY ENTERTAINED….

I didn’t hang around to see them take the church the rest of the way up the street to it’s new home.  It took them 3 hours just to get it this far!  I was totally amazed the how labor intensive moving a house is….and DANGEROUS… Those guys crawling around under that church not only have to be very nimble, but also need to work very fast to keep out of the way as the house crawls along…It’s a little hard to stop a moving house “on a dime”….

Well, I hope you enjoyed the moving of “God’s House”….I hope God enjoyed looking down at the process….and I hope he likes the new neighborhood. I know the people who live in that neighborhood couldn’t have a better “new “ neighbor than HE….

More later…Next up,  I gotta put on my hard hat and check out the progress on the Bull Moose Bar and Grill (the train car)….I need to keep those workers “STOKED”!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. What a great day in Sandwich and you the Sandwich reporter had the only news team on the church move.I can see a news award coming your way. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! I'm surprised the school kids weren't in line watching (since they didn't have electricity) with all the other town folk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post and great pictures - it felt just like I was there watching the move! You will be up for a Pulitzer prize for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure got a lot of great photos with this church move. Looks like everything went off without a hitch. Interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fine job on the reporting DD...what a milestone to see in Sandwich, Illinois!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic post! I just loved your expressions. I felt like I was right there beside you holding your coffee while you took the pics.

    There is something really moving about watching a huge building floating down the street. Maybe its the surealism of it all. Maybe when its a church (the house of God), it appears to be moved by His very own hands. Eitherway, it makes your heart skip a beat or two watching it.

    I hope its new location brings more people over for a Sunday visit.

    Take care,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Donna what a great job of reporting, I can just see the 10'Clock news with Donna Cave reporting Live from Sandwich IL. Good job. Loved the picture's. looks like even the Good Padre was helping supervise.I'd trade my nurse's cap for a hard hat any day just like Dennis. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete