http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=4316350785635987648 Cave Dwellings: SLOW DAY IN THE DESERT
Cave Dwellings

Buckhorn Creek, Lake O' The Pines, Jefferson, TX

Sunday, January 10, 2010

SLOW DAY IN THE DESERT

I have to quote Al, from The Bayfield Bunch.(a blog we follow)."If this day had gotten any slower we would have been backing up." We lolled around watching TV from the  horizontal position till about 7:40AM..Neither one of us heard any burros last night. I fixed us a hearty breakfast of eggs, potatoes and onions, steak and toast..That should do us until our dinner tonight.
I walked our garbage down to the dumpster, cup of Java in hand. We don't do our 2 mile walk on Sunday...day of rest and all that....Anyway, as I was walking back, I noticed a woman beside her 5th wheel, walking around it to check it, like she was getting ready to leave. It was all hooked on and ready to go. I just had to ask..."Are you driving this rig alone?" She answered that yes, she was, and she and I talked for a few minutes. It seems she was a full timer with her husband. They started full time RV living about 6 years ago. He died unexpectedly about 3 years ago and she had never driven an RV before, so she had a relative come and drive her home and park it. She bought a house and lived in it. She also sold the 5th wheel and bought a little A-frame pop up and traveled in that . She decided she missed the full time traveling life, so she bought a slightly smaller 5th wheel than they had previously and learned to drive it by practicing in a KMart parking lot. She then sold her home and went on the road full time alone. She is one brave woman!! Her husband was only 58 when he died. I was sufficiently impressed. I must tell you the 5th wheel she is hauling around the US is the size of ours or a bit larger!! She said she will be in Parker AZ to visit a friend for a week, the she is coming back here for 6 weeks..We meet the neatest people!!
...When we went to the flea market yesterday it was right next door to the Why Fire Department, and since Dennis is a retired firefighter, his father was a retired firefighter, and our son, Kelly, is currently a Lieutenant on a fire department back in Illinois, I just had to get a shot of their facility.....

...a bit austere...but it serves the purpose!!
About 11:30AM I went outside to get my dose of sunshine. Actually today was a bit overcast...am I a bit spoiled?? It was still in the upper 60's and the sun did come out full shortly after noon. While I was sitting outside, I heard sirens and the Sheriff's SUV went zooming down the road in the distance. Shortly after, I heard a helicopter and looked up to see one going over the park and headed North...


...hard to see if it was Border Patrol, hospital or police....either way, someone was in some kind of trouble. About that time our neighbors stepped outside and he reminded me of a program on National Geographic Channel tonight at 8 Central time (7PM our time)...It is called Border Wars...and we are living in the middle of it down here in South Arizona, so I don't want to miss it...Actually, it affects us all in this good ol' US of A....worth watching, people...
As I was "busy" sunbathing and reading, the bird feeders were also busy...I don't know what kind of bird this is, but it seems to be some kind of little chickadee or something like it...I need to check my bird book....


 I came inside about 2PM to blog and noticed that my Hummingbird feeder now had new visitors....

...Those damn bees were becoming a nuisance!! I am tempted to take it down, but about the time I get ready to do that, the Hummingbird shows up again!
 This blog is pretty lame..This photo pretty much sums up our activities for the day....

Tomorrow we are going to take one of the roads on the Cabeza Prieta Wildlife Refuge, so hopefully I will get some good pictures to blog....This busy life is really hard to take, as you can tell...More tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Guys.......Sounds like you are enjoying your time at Hickiwan. Your photos bring back lots of memories for us. Looking back towards the desert you will see 3 hills. I took all my wild donkey photos at the left hill. Either the center one or the right one has a small cave with the opening facing you. If you find any Inukshuks they were probably made by Kelly. There is a dry water pit back there as well. Have you found the desert stoneman east of the ridge yet?? Lots of stuff out there....ya just gotta find it:))

    ReplyDelete